Friday, August 15, 2008

The Insurance Lady

Part of my job includes enrolling new employees to our school system in their insurance benefits. I also assist existing employees with open enrollment questions. Therefore, my identity for the most part in the school system is "The Insurance Lady." When they call the switchboard or come into the office, they simply ask for "The Insurance Lady" and the call comes right to me.



Isn't is interesting to hear all the ways that we are identified throughout our lives. When we are children, we are known as "so and so's" daughter. Then we we get married, we are "so and so's" wife or he becomes "so and so's husband." As our children get older, we are "so and so's" mom. As we have grandchildren, we become whatever name that first precious grandchild begins to call us. My husband and I often now refer to each other as "Grammy" and "Papa" since we are grandparents. Then, in our workplace, we get all sorts of creative names pertaining to our job - like "The Insurance Lady!"



Those identities are all fun and great, but I keep getting drawn back to One that I want to be identified with more than any of the rest. Our identity in Christ is what sets us apart as believers. The song, "In Christ Alone", pretty well sums up how I feel about my relationship with Christ. And in just a few days, I'll be singing it together with many of my Siestas from bloggyland in San Antonio!

No comments: