Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Living Waters 5K and Sacroiliitis

Since many of you have asked when I plan to post again, here goes! As for half-marathon progress, there really isn't any. I took a rest after the shinsplint episode. The first time I tried to run after my resting period, I had a backache for about a week, so more rest! I was getting a little anxious since my daughters-in-law and me were going to run in a 5K on Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanksgiving was wonderful as we celebrated my birthday, one of my daughters-in-law's birthday and my granddaughter's birthday, along with Thanksgiving and Christmas. You see, my son and daughter-in-law from Missouri rotate Thanksgiving and Christmas every other year, so they can share those holidays with her family. So, on the year they come for Thanksgiving, we celebrate Christmas as well, since we don't get to see them again at Christmas. After stuffing ourselves with turkey, ham, and all the fixings, we opened birthday presents and Christmas presents. It was so much fun.

Later that evening, Addie and I decided to take a practice run to get ready for the 5K on Saturday. We took the 3-mile path I use in my neighborhood and I actually ran at least 1 mile of the route. It felt great to push through again, but the back pain started again within an hour. It was so bad on Friday! Addie had to drive her old ma-in-law around and help me in and out of the car. A little shopping humor: my cell phone rang while we had stopped in a thrift store and it was my mother. Apparently I was talking very loud, since Addie had to shush me up. She commented that not only was I incapacitated, but apparently had also lost my hearing. We had a big laugh with everyone around us in the store, and I told my mother I would call her back when we were out of the store. I love the relationship I have with my daughters-in-law. We really laugh alot when we are together - mostly at me, but that's ok.

Saturday morning rolled around and I was determined to do the 5K with my girls in spite of my pain. I planned to get up and wash and curl my hair, since hardly no one ever sees me before I do that. The girls said we were running a race and I wasn't allowed to do that, so here you see it and surely understand why I don't let anyone see me this way. This was at the end of the 5K and we all did just fine. Not one of us took last place and I actually achieved my goal of finishing with better than a 15-minute mile. My time was 41:29:1 even with an injury. Whoo hoo!!

Addie, Mary, and me!

So I was pretty much down in my back the rest of the weekend, but we did it! I went to the doc on Monday and the diagnosis - "sacroiliitis". That's a funny diagnosis for a funny lady, right?! The verdict is that I can't run for awhile. I have to take steroids, anti-inflammatory and do some exercises to strengthen my back.

The half-marathon in February is off, but that doesn't mean we can't do another half-marathon when I am well and able to train again.
OK - that reminds me of a song. Are you surprised?
"I'm trading my sickness, I'm trading my pain
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.
I am pressed, but not crushed; persecuted, not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
I am blessed beyond the curse for His promise will endure and His joy's gonna be my strength."
Everybody sing along with me now.
That's it for now! Stay tuned for more in the continuing maladies of Gramster.


Karen P. said...

It looks like you won't need surgery is that right? I hope you recover very quickly and easily.
Between your sacrioliitis and Rob's fat pad imingement, I don't know what to think.
Did you see Terry and Sharron in NYC tonight? Exciting!
Well, take it easy. Hope you can make it tomorrow night. I look forward to choir practice next to you!

RunnerGirl said...

Man, we look GOOD!! :) That was SO MUCH FUN!! I'm glad we all got to run together, and I'm glad it stopped raining long enough for us to get the race finished! We totally need to do that again.